The National Commission for Combating Traffic in Human Beings (NCCTHB) annually develops a National Programme for Prevention and Counteraction of Trafficking in Human Beings and Protection of Victims. The 2018 National Program contains seven strategic objectives and 18 operational objectives under the seven sections of the Program, where each objective to be achieved is supplemented by several activities which will facilitate this.
SECTION 1: INSTITUTIONAL & ORGANISATIONAL MEASURES
– Establishment of working mechanisms for institutional support and development of the administrative structures, provided by the Law on Combating Trafficking in Human Beings, on the national and local levels and ensuring their effective functioning.
1. Managing and controlling the activities of the structures under the Law on Combating Trafficking in Human Beings.
2. Organization and coordination between the different departments and organizations with a view to
implementation of the Law on Combating Trafficking in Human Beings and the effective implementation of policies on preventing trafficking in human beings.
SECTION 2: PREVENTION
– Raising the awareness and sensitivity of the public and risk groups of trafficking, on the problems of trafficking in human beings.
1. Creating public intolerance to the trafficking of human beings.
2. Targeted prevention and detection of trafficking of human beings.
3. Organising and conducting information, explanatory, and educational campaigns for risk groups regarding the trafficking of human beings.
SECTION 3: EDUCATION & TRAINING OF STAFF
– Development and upgrading of the expertise of specialists in the field of combating trafficking in human beings and victim protection.
1. Development and implementation of training programs for employees for the fulfilment of their functions in relation to the prevention and counteraction of trafficking in human beings and victim protection.
2. Additional qualification of the staff of the Secretariat of the NCCTHB and of the local committees of the NCCTHB, as well as the experts in the Permanent Working Group to the National Commission.
SECTION 4: PROTECTION, RECOVERY AND REINTEGRATION OF VICTIMS OF TRAFFICKING IN HUMAN BEINGS
– Overcoming the consequences of trafficking in human beings and reintegration of victims into society through assistance, support, and protection.
1. Implementation of the National and Transnational Mechanism for Referral and Support of victims of trafficking in human beings.
2. Implementation of the National Mechanism for Referral and Support of Victims of trafficking in human beings.
3. Increase in trafficking victims who received protection and support at the shelters for temporary accommodation and the centers for protection and assistance to trafficked victims, crisis centers and other support centers.
4. Reintegration of victims of trafficking through qualification, employment, etc.
SECTION 5: STUDY, ANALYSIS AND STATISTICAL DATA REPORTING IN RELATION TO THE TRAFFICKING IN PEOPLE
– Tracking the development and trends in the crime of „trafficking in human beings“, its prevention and counteraction.
1. Maintaining a single database for victims and perpetrators of trafficking in human beings.
2. Improving the mechanism for data collection by all agencies and NGOs.
SECTION 6: INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION
– Development of international cooperation through exchange of good practices in the field of prevention and counteraction of trafficking in human beings.
1. Exchange of experience, good practices and participation in international projects on the counteraction and protection of victims of trafficking.
2. Build partnerships through bilateral and multilateral cooperation.
3. Development and implementation of international projects aimed at countering trafficking in human beings.
SECTION 7: LEGISLATIVE MEASURES
– Reinforce the legislative framework to improve efficiency in countering trafficking in human beings in Bulgaria.
1. Coordination of national legislation with commitments under the international legal documents from the Republic of Bulgaria.
2. Updating the legal basis for more efficient implementation of State policy to prevent and counteract trafficking in human beings.
The text of the 2018 National Program is only available in Bulgarian: download here