The National Commission for Combating Traffic in Human Beings (NCCTHB) annually develops a National Programme for Prevention and Counteraction of Trafficking in Human Beings and Protection of Victims. The 2017 National Program contains seven strategic objectives and 17 operational objectives under the seven sections of the Program, where each objective to be achieved is supplemented by several activities which will facilitate this.
SECTION 1: INSTITUTIONAL & ORGANISATIONAL MEASURES
– Promote well-functioning mechanisms for institutional support, foster the development of both the national and local administrative structures provided for in the Combating Human Trafficking Act, and ensure their efficient operation.
1. Guide and oversee the activities of all entities referred to in the Combating Human Trafficking Act.
2. Organise and coordinate the interaction between the different institutions and organisations to ensure the implementation of the Combating Human Trafficking Act and effective implementation of the policy to prevent trafficking in human beings.
SECTION 2: PREVENTION
– Raise the awareness and sensitivity of both the public and the high-risk groups on issues related to trafficking in human beings.
1. Build-up public intransigence towards trafficking in human beings.
2. Organise and conduct information, awareness-raising, and education campaigns for persons from the high-risk groups for trafficking in human beings.
SECTION 3: STAFF TRAINING, SPECIALISATION, AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
– Develop and build on the expertise of the specialists in the area of combating trafficking in human beings and protection of human trafficking victims.
1. Develop and implement programs for training staff in the performance of functions related to preventing and countering trafficking in human beings and to victim protection.
2. Further training and professional development of the staff of the NCCTHB Secretariat and the NCCTHB’s local structures, as well as the experts with the Standing Working Group with the National Commission.
SECTION 4: PROTECTION, REHABILITATION AND REINTEGRATION OF THE VICTIMS OF TRAFFICKING IN HUMAN BEINGS
– Overcome the consequences of trafficking in human beings and reintegrate the victims in society by providing help, support, assistance and protection.
1. Apply the National and Trans-National Referral Mechanism for Human Trafficking Victims.
2. Apply the National Mechanism for Referral of and Support to the Victims of Human Trafficking.
3. An increased number of human trafficking victims (HTV) receiving protection and support at the temporary accommodation shelters (TAS) and at the centres for protection and support to human trafficking victims (CPSHTV), crisis centres, and other support centres.
4. Reintegrate human trafficking victims through training and further training, employment, etc.
SECTION 5: RESEARCH, ANALYSIS AND STATISTICAL REPORTING FOR DATA IN RELATION TO TRAFFICKING IN HUMAN BEINGS
– Following the developments and trends in the crime of human trafficking, its prevention and suppression.
1. Maintain a single database for the victims and perpetrators of human trafficking.
2. Improve the mechanism for gathering data from all institutions and NGOs.
SECTION 6: INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION
– Developing the international cooperation through exchange of best practices in the area of preventing and combating trafficking in human beings.
1. Exchange of experience and good practices, participation in international projects aimed at countering trafficking in human beings and protecting the victims of human trafficking.
2. Building partnerships through bilateral and multilateral cooperation.
3. Developing and implementing international projects aimed at countering human trafficking.
SECTION 7: LEGISLATIVE MEASURES
– Upgrade the existing legislative framework to improve the efficient combating of human trafficking in Bulgaria.
1. Align the domestic legislation with the commitments assumed by the Republic of Bulgaria under international legal instruments.
2. Update the regulatory framework to ensure more efficient implementation of the government policy to prevent and counter trafficking in human beings.
Download the full text here: NCCTHB_Program_2017_EN