The National Commission for Combating Traffic in Human Beings (NCCTHB) annually develops a National Programme for Prevention and Counteraction of Trafficking in Human Beings and Protection of Victims. The 2012 National Program contains seven strategic objectives and 18 operational objectives under the seven sections of the Program, where each objective to be achieved is supplemented by several activities which will facilitate this.
SECTION 1: INSTITUTIONAL AND ORGANISATIONAL MEASURES
– Establishment of institutional mechanisms for supporting and developing the administrative structures in the Combating Trafficking in Human Beings Act, at national and local level, and ensuring their effective functioning.
1. Expansion, management and control of the activities of the structures under the Combating Trafficking in Human Beings Act.
2. Organization and coordination between various agencies and organizations to apply the Combating Trafficking in Human Beings Act and the effective implementation of the anti-trafficking policy and strategy for preventing and combating trafficking in human beings.
SECTION 2: PREVENTION
– Raising public awareness among risk groups (women, children, ethnic minorities, unemployed) about issues related to trafficking in human beings.
1. Organizing information, awareness and educational campaigns, aimed at the risk groups at international, national and local level.
2. Create public intolerance towards trafficking in human beings.
SECTION 3: EDUCATION AND TRAINING OF STAFF
– Increasing the capacity of staff, structures and members of NCCTHB.
1. Development and implementation of training programmes for training employees to carry out functions in relation to preventing and combating trafficking in human beings.
2. Additional training of the staff of the Secretariat of NCCTHB and the local structures of the NCCTHB.
3. Increasing the skills of police officers, prosecutors, judges and social workers working in the field of combating human trafficking.
SECTION 4: PROTECTION, RECOVERY AND REINTEGRATION OF VICTIMS OF TRAFFICKING IN HUMAN BEINGS
– Overcoming the consequences of trafficking and re-integration of victims into society through assistance, support and protection.
1. Implementation of the National and Transnational Referral Mechanism for Victims of Trafficking.
2. Increased number of victims of trafficking to receive protection and support in temporary shelters for victims of trafficking, support centers and shelters run by NGOs.
3. Reintegration of victims through empowerment and employment.
4. Registration of individuals and legal entities, to provide shelter to victims of trafficking.
SECTION 5: RESEARCH, ANALYSIS AND DATA COLLECTION IN CONNECTION WITH TRAFFICKING IN HUMAN BEINGS
– Analysis of developments and trends in the crime, prevention and combating trafficking in human beings.
1. Existing databases of victims and perpetrators of human trafficking.
2. Coordinated mechanism for collecting data from all agencies and NGOs.
3. Data collection for victims after they leave the shelters and crisis centers.
SECTION 6: INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION
– Development of international cooperation through exchange of best practices in the field of preventing and combating human trafficking.
1. Presentation of the Bulgarian legislation, best practices and building partnerships through bilateral and multilateral cooperation.
2. Development and implementation of international projects aimed at combating human trafficking.
SECTION 7: LEGISLATIVE MEASURES
– Update on legislative measures to improve effective counteraction to human trafficking in Bulgaria in the context of international and European policy to combat this crime.
1. Synchronizing the national legislation with international commitments on legal documents from Bulgaria.
2. Overcoming the gaps in legislation leading to inconsistent practices and inability to carry out national policy on preventing and combating trafficking.
Download the full version of the 2012 National Programme here: