The National Commission for Combating Traffic in Human Beings (NCCTHB) annually develops a National Programme for Prevention and Counteraction of Trafficking in Human Beings and Protection of Victims. The 2010 National Program contains six strategic objectives under the six sections of the Program, where each objective to be achieved is supplemented by several activities which will facilitate this.
The National Programme for 2010 places a strong emphasis on local policies to combat human trafficking, development of the work of the established Local Commissions for Combating Trafficking in Human Beings and expansion of prevention activities among adolescents, their parents and teachers, ethnic minorities and at border check points in order to prevent human trafficking for the purpose of labour and sexual exploitation as well as child trafficking.
In 2010, the government’s efforts will be directed towards the protection and reintegration of victims by establishment a second shelter for temporary accommodation of victims of trafficking and finalization of the National Referral Mechanism for victims of trafficking and the development of minimum standards for victim support.
An outline of the sections and main goals to be achieved can be seen below:
SECTION 1: INSTITUTIONAL AND ORGANIZATIONAL MEASURES
– Building the mechanisms for institutional support and developing the administrative structures provided for by the Combating Trafficking in Human Beings Act at national and local level and ensuring their effective functioning.
SECTION 2: PREVENTION
– Raising the awareness of the public and the high-risk groups (women, children, ethnic minorities, unemployed and socially disadvantaged people) on the problem of human trafficking; development of a mechanisms for its confinement and creation of public intolerance towards this phenomenon.
SECTION 3: TRAINING & QUALIFICATION OF STAFF
– Increasing the capacity of the staff and the structures of the NCCTHB for applying and participating in European projects.
SECTION 4: PROTECTION, REHABILITATION AND REINTEGRATION OF VICTIMS OF TRAFFICKING IN HUMAN BEINGS
– Overcoming the consequences of human trafficking and reintegration of the victims in the society by providing assistance and support to the victims and protection of their rights.
SECTION 5: INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION
– Development of international cooperation by sharing of good practices in the field of prevention and counteraction of human trafficking, presentation of Bulgarian legislation and building of bilateral and multilateral partnerships.
SECTION 6: LEGISLATIVE MEASURES
– Contemporising the legislative measures in order to improve the effective counteraction of trafficking in human beings in Bulgaria in the context of the European policy for combating this crime.
The full 2010 National Program can be downloaded here: download (extension .pdf)