The National Commission for Combating Traffic in Human Beings (NCCTHB) annually develops a National Programme for Prevention and Counteraction of Trafficking in Human Beings and Protection of Victims. The 2009 National Program contains six strategic objectives under the six sections of the Program, where each objective to be achieved is supplemented by several activities which will facilitate this.
An outline of the sections and main goals to be achieved can be seen below:
SECTION 1: INSTITUTIONAL AND ORGANIZATIONAL MEASURES
– Building the administrative structures provided for by the Combating Trafficking in Human Beings Act at national and local levels and ensuring their effective functioning.
SECTION 2: PREVENTION
– Raising public awareness on the problem of human trafficking and developing mechanisms for its confinement. Creating public intolerance to the phenomenon.
SECTION 3: TRAINING AND QUALIFICATION OF STAFF
– Improving the capacity of the staff and the structures of the NCCTHB in order to apply and participate in European projects.
SECTION 4: PROTECTION, REHABILITATION AND REINTEGRATION OF VICTIMS OF TRAFFICKING IN HUMAN BEINGS
– Overcoming the consequences of human trafficking and reintegrating the victims in society by assistance and support of the victims and protection of their rights.
SECTION 5: INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION
– Development of international cooperation by sharing of good practices in the field of prevention and counteraction of human trafficking, presentation of Bulgarian legislation and building of bilateral and multilateral partnerships.
SECTION 6: LEGISLATIVE MEASURES
– Contemporising the legislative measures in order to improve the effective counteraction of trafficking in human beings in Bulgaria in the context of the European policy for combating this type of crime.
The full 2009 National Program can be downloaded here: NCCTHB_Program_2009_EN