The National Commission for Combating Traffic in Human Beings (NCCTHB) annually develops a National Programme for Prevention and Counteraction of Trafficking in Human Beings and Protection of Victims. The 2006 National Program contains six strategic objectives under the six sections of the Program, where each objective to be achieved is supplemented by several activities which will facilitate this.
An outline of the sections and main goals to be achieved can be seen below:
SECTION 1: INSTITUTIONAL AND ORGANIZATIONAL MEASURES
– Establishment of the administrative structures provided for in the Law on Anti-Trafficking in Human Beings, at a national and local level, and ensuring their effective functioning.
SECTION 2: PREVENTION
– Raise the public awareness of the problems of trafficking in human beings and develop mechanisms for its limitation and create public intolerance to this phenomenon.
SECTION 3: TRAINING AND QUALIFICATION OF STAFF
– Initial training of the staff in the newly-created structures under the Combating Trafficking in Human Beings Act, and improve the qualification of the staff in the institutions working on the problems of trafficking.
SECTION 4: PROTECTION, REHABILITATION AND REINTEGRATION OF VICTIMS OF TRAFFICKING IN HUMAN BEINGS
– Assist and support the victims of trafficking in human beings and protect their rights. Overcome the consequences of trafficking in human beings and reintegrate the victims in society.
SECTION 5: INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION
– Expanding the international activities of the NCCTHB, developing the international cooperation and exchange of good practices in the field of counteraction of trafficking in human beings.
SECTION 6: LEGISLATIVE MEASURES
* See National Programme for details.
The full text of the 2006 National Program is only available in Bulgarian: download here